Thursday, October 18, 2007

Transitional Velvet

Cream lace blouse, H&M (via swap). Burgundy velvet dress, New York & Co. Black belt, Steve Madden. Black, patent slingbacks, Audrey Brooke. Metal and enamel earrings, World Market. Gold watch, Raymond Weil.

It’s raining and cool enough that I can finally wear some of my transitional pieces, like this velvet dress.

I received a “last chance” magazine from Chadwick’s. I’ve never ordered anything from this company, but I am tempted by the 40% off coupon and the below dress. I can’t decide if I love it or hate it. The collar reminds me overly much of some kind of weird coat-dress, but I love the sleeves, empire waist, and the green color it is available in. It’s about $24 with my discount.




















Should I order the Chadwick's dress?
Yes
No
Other - I'll tell you in the comments

pollcode.com free polls

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't know how chadwick's quality is lately but years ago, my mom wasn't pleased at all with her order from there. i remember the clothes were chincy! they look as cheap as they cost, kind of like fashion bug fare if you're familiar with that store.

Anonymous said...

24 dollars that could go towards a pair of Jimmy Choo's or discounted Seven Jeans from Off Saks Fifth Avenue or a shirt dress from Chadwicks that you'll probably wear only once. I say keep the money and your style.

Susan B said...

If they have it in green, go for it! It's trendy, but at that price even if you only wear it for one season, you'll get your money's worth.

Anonymous said...

I was hoping that maternity look was on its way out! This dress looks like it would make you look pregnant. I say, skip it and put your $24 towards something more classic.

Londyn said...

I like the dress except for the big collar. Not sure how flattering that would be. On the other hand it might just be me, cause I just have a thing with collars. . .

I actually got that same Chadwick's catologue too and was looking at the cream colored wool jacket. Maybe I will post that on my blog and get opinions too.

Londyn said...

Second Note: love your velvet and lace combo -- soooo pretty!

Jane Milton said...

Hi Kasmira:

This blogger bought Newport News, who also owns Chadwick's, and had this review. And from reading the other comments, maybe it would not be a good idea to get it.

http://womanwardrobeneeds.blogspot.com/2006/09/newport-news-update.html

I know from personal experience when I get the cheap stuff, it lasts me one or two wears and then it's in the pile of stuff to give away. And I'm not talking about price, I'm talking about the quality of the fabric. I have stuff from F21 that I still wear and love!

Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...can't say I love this outfit. Not sure why? Maybe it's the drapey cut of the dress, or that the velvet looks too thin and cheap (the material reminds of those fake "velvet" tracksuits from a few yrs ago). Perhaps you could bring the hem up a little as well? I like the idea of velvet, but as a waistcoat, jacket or skirt rather than a drapey dress. Velvet needs to have some heft to it to look right.