Thursday, August 14, 2008

15 Dollar Dress and Watch


Dress, Sele. Belt, Xhilaration. Slingbacks, Audrey Brooke. Watch, Louis Arden. Handbag, Naturalizer (thrifted and vintage). Sunnies, Walgreen’s.

This dress and watch are items #2 and #3 of my experimental 15dollarstore.com order. (Item #1 was the tunic and the final item [#4] will be revealed when the weather cools off a bit more.) Both the dress and watch are cute, but the quality isn’t the greatest. The watch’s enamel took a bit of a beating when the jeweler removed the excess links. It has flaked off around the pins that were adjusted and at a few points edge of the face. I bought it because Angie had finally convinced me that I needed a chunky white watch. I only spent $15 on it because I’m not sure I’ll wear it after summer ends. The enamel should hold up until then.

The dress is adorable. I love the look of a black strapless dress with a white blouse peeking out from underneath. I’ve attempted this look with an actual dress and blouse, but the result was lumpy. An attached, faux blouse works much better. I also like the dress’ wide waistband (beneath the belt) and tulip skirt. I realized, though, as soon as I sat down on the bus to go to work, that the length is too short for the office, at least without hosiery. I plan to pair the dress with wild tights for fall (because, as I tell Mike, wearing tights is like wearing pants, so my skirt can be as short as I like). The dress isn’t lined and the zipper action is a bit jerky. According to the MSRP on the attached tag, it retails for $59. $15 seems much more appropriate.

7 comments:

Sheila said...

Love this look! I did the strapless + blouse yesterday (with pants), but love the dress/blouse combo.

Not a watch fan in general (I haven't worn one in years). Maybe a white Swatch would be a better investment?

Katy said...

I like the watch, though I do think that a Swatch watch would be nice as well. Black, yellow, and white is a really good combination!

KT said...

This is beyond cute and oh so sassy!

Fashion in the Sky said...

I ALMOST BOUGHT THAT DRESS! But went with something pink and floral instead...I might have to get this one, too!
-Barbie

Angie (youlookfab.com) said...

I'm chuffed, Kasmira. The watch looks pretty.( Sorry about those chipped enamel bits). This forum thread might encourage long lasting white watch thinking:

http://www.youlookfab.com/welookfab/topic/watch-winter?replies=10


I love your sunglasses. I think I like you best in red. And you?

Torey said...

Silly question, but why don't you have ads on your blog? I'm sure that you get tons of hits and that your blog is pretty popular. Just curious.

hicktowndiva said...

You are in great shape so you can pull it off, but that dress seems a little short and body-conscious for a day at work. Maybe tights will help, or shoes with less of a heel.