Sunday, April 19, 2009

Overdye Results

Perhaps you noticed that there was no recession challenge issued for April. I needed a little break, and wanted to have a video ready to go with the next challenge, so I unofficially decided to skip a month. But that meant that I inadvertently also delayed the publication of the March results!

Without further ado, here is a summary of the March Recession Challenge results.

Stephanie N did the assignment, plus extra credit. She dyed a pale mauve jacket to a striking rust shade. She also freshened up two identical shirts by overdying each a different color with fascinating results.

But that wasn’t enough, then Stephanie N overdyed a pair of trousers, too!

Carla used Evening Blue dye to transform formerly bland beige jacket and shorts.

I used black dye on a pair of jeans, but got blue-black results, thanks to a high percentage of ramie in the fabric blend.

I believe a few other readers (Evanadine? Deborah-Lee?) also participated, but haven’t sent in any photos or links yet. If you’d like to leave a link to your project in the comments, please feel free.

Thank you for participating and stay tuned for a continuation of the Recession Challenge series in May.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i did use your overdying instructions to dye a pair of jeans back to a nice dark denim color. i dont have any pictures as of yet, but i will definitely let you know if i ever post any!
i think of you every time i wear those jeans, and im so thankful for your instructions!

Jess said...

I'm so impressed with how you've altered things you already own to give them new life! Do you usually only do that after you've owned and worn something for awhile, or do you ever purchase something with the intent of altering it right away?

Your overdying of denim has given me a whole new attitude about buying denim! I've found jeans before that fit well, but passed because the color was too light. I may take a chance next time this happens and try dying them a more pleasing shade!

Kasmira said...

jess - I often buy thrift store items with the intention of altering them (shortening or dyeing) but not anything new. I figure if it's new, it should be perfect, or I won't buy it. After I've owned the new thing awhile, though, I might dye or otherwise alter it just to keep things interesting.

lost said...

has anyone had any luck with overdying a golden yellow garment? i'm a little hesitant.

Deborah-lee said...

I actually bought the dye for a pair of jeans and a skirt but I then went on an impromptu holiday to my parents.

Now I'm off visiting my fiance (he works interstate) so I won't be actually dyeing until this weekend at the earliest.

I do so love all the jobs everyone has done though. I limited to myself to just thinking about making denim darker, but the idea of having some of my million white shirts that I never wear in different colours is very inspiring!

Lisa said...

I overdyed a pair of pale blue jeans with RIT black, and ended up with somewhat purplish jeans. I'm not sure how I feel about them, but they strangely seem quite in line with the American Apparel trend that's happening now. Pics maybe later!