Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Browned Black

I think of myself as pretty fearless when it comes to mixing patterns and colors. And, yet, it took quite a bit of deliberation before I was comfortable pairing this skirt with brown. For some reason, I got all hung up on the black stripe in the skirt’s tartan. It seemed to demand accessorizing with black or its pale cousin, gray.


Blazer, Cami. Shirt, Merona. Skirt, Tulle. Tights, We Love Colors. Boots, Nine West. Brooch, The Crafty Chemist.

Sometimes, I have to conquer my neurosis with an exercise of the imagination. When the black stripe starts to bother me, I just pretend it’s a very dark brown.



8 comments:

Megan G said...

Are the black stripes the horizontal or vertical? I'm seeing dark blue verticals and dark brown horizontals... my monitor isn't the best though.

I love the pairing of blue, red and yellow together.

Unknown said...

LOVE that skirt.

estrella said...

It could easily be dark brown!
I have the same problems with brown and black, though.

Kasmira said...

The black (dark brown) stripes are horizontal.

Jenni said...

I love that blazer, and I love black with brown, so you won't hear me complaining!

-smatz- said...

This out fit is awesome!

Also, I appreciate your willingness to wear a plaid skirt the day after wearing a plaid skirt, or the same boots two days in a row. I have this weird idea that I can't repeat things too much or someone will notice ~ but you remind me that the point (the fun!) is building a great-looking outfit that you feel good in, not creating a rubix cube of your closet. So thanks for always bringing the fun :D

Laurel said...

The jacket/shirt/skirt combo is fantastic! And the stripe looks very much like brown to me.

Vanessa said...

Every time you pull out this tulle skirt, I just gasp. Every. Time. I love it! (The hemline is so unexpected for such a traditional looking plaid!)