Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sporty Sunday: Tall Drink of Water

I’ve always had good water drinking habits. I credit my mom with teaching me to drink a full glass of water upon waking up. Each morning, water is the first thing I crave. (Food is a close second!)

During the busy day, though, it’s easy to forget to drink water. Even when we do experience thirst, sometimes it isn’t convenient to grab a bottle of water. Sometimes, the only options are soda and coffee. Sometimes we just want something more exciting than plain old H2O.


I combat dehydration by keeping this 32-oz mug of water on my desk. I fill it in the morning and then each time it empties. I drink two, often three*, mugs each work day. This works for me because:

- The mug has a straw (I’ll drink much more in a “sip” if I’m using a straw rather than gulping)
- It’s convenient
- I don’t have to refill the container more than a few times per day

After a lifetime of good hydration habits, sometimes I feel addicted to water. I can’t stand the thought of sitting down to eat without cool water to cleanse my palate every few bites. I am especially eager to get back to my mug after a tough lunchtime workout. I’ll even take my mug to meetings (despite its embarrassing** appearance).

When I’m not at work, I keep up my hydration by seeking out bottles of water at events, carrying around a smaller plastic cup and straw (reusable and dishwasher safe), and ordering water at restaurants. Since I cut out caffeine (and sugared sodas), I find myself choosing water more than ever.

How much water do you drink each day? What are your tips for ensuring you are sufficiently hydrated?

*Yes, this means I make many trips to the restroom. It's annoying, but gives me a chance to stretch my legs, check my appearance, and wash my hands.

**The mug is ugly, but the cookie I bought with it was SO good. I freaking love the Double Doozie.

Sporty Sunday is a recurring feature in which I share my fitness routine and offer and solicit advice. While this content might seem a little out of place in an outfit diary, a healthy, strong body is the foundation of my wardrobe. I hope to inspire my readers to be fit as well as stylish!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

What do you do at a restaurant when the water is nasty? There are some restaurants here that not even a lemon slice or two will cover up the gross taste of the water.

Sheila said...

I drink a lot of water!

Like you, I drink a glass of water as soon as I get up - I usually fill a 400ml glass and have it beside my bed. When I (inevitably) get up during the night, I usually drink about 1/3 of it at a time, finishing it off in the morning.

I do have one cup of coffee in the morning, then follow that with a cup of decaf (so I feel like I'm getting more coffee, but without the caffeine). Then, I use my 450ml mug and a 400ml glass and have a mug of either green tea or herbal tea (usually mint, ginger or licorice). I find if they are on my desk, I'll drink them - not having a mug of liquid means I don't drink anything at all.

In the evenings, I drink tea and water again. I prefer my water straight from the tap, lukewarm - we are lucky that the water here is so good to drink!

Kasmira said...

If the restaurant's water is bad, usually anything from the soda fountain is bad, too. In that case, I choose something bottled, even if that means beer. (I suppose non-alcoholic beer doesn't dehydrate you like the real stuff.)

Keilexandra said...

I don't drink soda or coffee, and tea and fruit juice very rarely. So 99% of my liquid consumption is plain water (I will take it room temperature, but the colder the better). Yet I don't drink anywhere close to the recommended amount per day... I do eat a ton of fruit, but still, I have reason to suspect (based on minor health issues) that I need to get in the habit of drinking more beverages. I don't really want to start on caffeinated stuff and I don't like too-sweet drinks--plus I'm lactose-intolerant--so that pretty much leaves... water. Good thing I like the taste!

Erin said...

Actually, I started carrying a Platypus soft water bottle when I travel on planes. When empty, it's easy to take through security and it's super light and compact - I just fill it up on once inside security. Some airports actually have water bottle filling stations! Helps keep me hydrated on long flights beyond the 4 oz of H20 they give you know. :-)

Anonymous said...

Another water drinker here! I always have a glass of water on the go, and a travel mug (often 2) of green tea, & a thermos of water, with me at all times. Being without my go-mug is like forgetting to wear pants - something just doesn't feel quite right. By the time I leave the house with my snacks and drinks, it's not surprising that I forget pants.
My tip is to hydrate well before any big activity, ideally the day prior. I find this makes a big difference to me.
Your Sunday tips are a great part of your blog, Thanks!

Unknown said...

I've never guzzled as much water as with my Camelbak water bottle. It's only 24oz, not 32, but the bite-nozzle makes me drink a TON more. My goal is 100+ ounces a day (which sounds in line with your 32oz x3).

Kasmira said...

Erin - I need to find myself one of those soft water bottles! I hate the extra space a hard bottle takes up in my carry-on.

Lisa said...

I usually bring three 16oz bottles of water with me to work daily. At the end of the day the goal is to have all three sitting empty on my desk ready to recycle the bottles. Then once I get home I try to drink at least another one or two. It also helps that I have a stainless steel mug that keeps the water super cold all day!

Jenna said...

I tend to carry a drinks bottle with me in my handbag.
At work I have a pint glass that I fill up first thing in the morning and then refill throughout the day when it gets empty. How much I drink does depend on how busy I am and whether or not I'm away from my desk a lot.
On the few occasions that I've been out for a meal this year I have made sure to ask for water as well as whatever I'm drinking with my meal. Usually either a glass of wine or a soft drink.

Holly said...

Another avid water drinker here - and I have to second the importance of having a BIG bottle/cup/glass. It doesn't matter that the refill spot is *just* outside my office door - if I use my 32 oz Nalgene, I'll drink 2-3 times more water than if I use a 16 oz bottle.

As for soda fountains - my suggestion is to let the water run briefly (10-15 seconds) before filling your glass. It's not a perfect solution, but does help flush out some of the iced tea/fruit punch flavor, thus making the water (to me) more palatable.

s said...

i'm a hardcore water drinker too! AND i also love the double doozy (though i haven't had it since i was like 9. haha.)