Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sporty Sunday: Hiking Hidden Falls Regional Park

Hidden Falls Regional Park reminds me strongly of Cincinnati’s Mt Airy Park. The similarly sized parks are both webbed with trails traversing moderate hills and draws. Both are easily accessible and sometimes crowded. Although the species differ, the characteristics of the forest canopy and underbrush are alike. However, Hidden Falls has its namesake falls, three waterways, and is better maintained.

Again, Jasper and I started our hike before dawn, walking the first mile by a combination of flashlight and moonlight. I’m glad we did, because we were over halfway done before we encountered any other hikers on this popular trail. And we had only a mile left before we encountered our first equestrians.

I love horses. And I love dogs. But dog-horse interactions are highly unpredictable. As a result, I prefer trails that are not frequented by horses and their riders. Hidden Falls Regional Park is a great place to ride a horse. I don’t think it’s a great place to hike with your dog, though, unless you’re off the trail before the horse trailers arrive.



This is a pleasant hike for those who don’t mind sharing the trail with other users and are not looking for a strenuous workout. I’ll consider returning next year, to run the back trails of the park in preparation for Pike’s Peak 2015. (Just like I prepared for the 2012 event in Mt Airy.) Otherwise, it’s an area best left to the crowds.

Source: Salcedo-Chourre, Tracy. "Hidden Falls Regional Park." Best Hikes Near Sacramento. Morris Book Publishing, 2012. Print.

Length: 5.2 miles

Water: Deadman Creek, Whiskey Diggins Canal, and Coon Creek all had water. The seasonal creek crossed by Blue Oak Loop was dry.

Use: Heavy. The park’s website recommends visiting during off-peak days and times. I concur.

Differences from published description: Pond Turtle Trail and Turkey Ridge Trail (as described in the book) are now signed as South Legacy Way and North Legacy Way, respectively.

Jasper’s rating: 2.5 paws out of 5.

Sporty Sunday is a recurring feature in which I share my fitness routine and offer and solicit advice. While this content might seem a little out of place in an outfit diary, a healthy, strong body is the foundation of my wardrobe. I hope to inspire my readers to be fit as well as stylish!

1 comment:

Lorena said...

I insist! Jasper is one happy and lucky dog.